Maintenance of your computer or laptop is very important if you want to keep it for several years. Both outside and inside cleaning is needed. Today, we want to share a few maintenance and cleaning tips for both computers and laptops. Desktop computers will obviously have more outside cleaning than laptops, but the basic idea stay the same.
Outside cleaning is for all the surfaces and hardware that you can touch and that gathers dust.
- Switch off your machine. It is important to switch off your laptop or computer before you start cleaning it. It should be unplugged and all moving parts should be off. This is for your own safety.
- Use a soft cloth and water. The best way to clean your computer is to use a cloth that is soft and will not scratch the surface or screen. Moisten the cloth and wipe away any dust and food, etc. You can also use products that are specifically designed for cleaning computers.
- Shake the keyboard. To get rid of crumbs and other particles between the keyboard keys, gently tip it over and shake it so the stuff will come loose and fall out.
- Clean all the extras too. Remember to give your tower, mouse, keyboard, external hard drive, speakers, etc. a good clean as well. They all work hard and deserve a bit of attention.
- Do this often. Clean all the outsides and hardware at least once every month or so to ensure that dust doesn’t damage your system.
Inside cleaning basically refers to the software and other programs on your computer.
- Uninstall unused programs. The first step to clean the inside of your computer is to remove any programs and other software that you no longer use. This will free up space and declutter your computer.
- Hire a Computer Guy. Fixing computers isn’t hard but the non tech savy, considering using computer repair in brooklyn. Most of these IT specialists will fix your computer and save you the headache.
- Defrag your computer. When space on your computer becomes limited, it starts saving files in fragments. For example, a little bit in one block and the rest in two other blocks. Defragging means that the computer will pull all the saved files back together and it will also speed up retrieval because it will be in one place.
- Scan your computer. Viruses and adware and spyware slows your computer down and also threatens the security and operations. Make sure that you have the necessary anti-virus protection and scan your computer for viruses and malware. Get the problems fixed. If the computer cannot fix or remove it, take it to a shop for repairs.
- Do regular updates. New versions of operating systems and software are released frequently Most computers will update automatically if your settings allow it. The most recent updates usually work better and often take up less space.
These are very basic things but they will ensure that your computer operates well and for a long time. If you follow these simple procedures, you will extend its lifespan and probably save a lot of money on repairs.